Latest news.




Sanding finished!

Shiver.... It is still freezing here i Norway. The feeling of a brand new canoe on silent dark water is far away yet, and one can loose faith for lesser things. But beyond is the spring waiting, and we are still optimistic. We planned to lay the fibrecloth and epoxy this weekend, but must delay that for a while. It shall get even colder, and when it is 10 degrees celsius belov 0 now, it will be impossible to raise the temperature in the workshop enough to start the setting of the epoxy. We need to raise the temperature with about 25 degrees and that will be very hard to do. Two of the builders, who can afford such luxary, will be off to Fuerteventura, in the Canaries in two weeks time, so things will slow down a bit now. At least all the sanding is done now.Next time we will try to make seats, paddles and decks, and that will be a challenge also. The last thing we did this evening was to go inside for a cup of tea, and to plan what to do next. We also tried to isolate tha workshop a bit, to liminate the area that needs heating. It worked well, eh.. we hope so anyway.



And another stem mounted.

The stem in the other end of the canoe (Erh... which end is the other end in a canoe?... never mind) are in place now. We waxed the screws here also. The hull is complete now, just planing and sanding left and then we will go on with epoxy and fibreglass cloth. We have decided to use epoxy fram SP systems, 106 resin. It is lightly yellow in colour, but we like to believe that the reslut will be pleasing never the less. SP also manufactures an all clear resin, and we might use that one on the next project.


We sanded a lot today also. The outer stem we mounted last week were chiseled and planed to shape,and made a pleasing effect in the stem.(Or was it the stern, we never agree on which end is what.) We also like to thank all of you out there for the tips and advice we have recievedlately. We might put on a page here containing tipsand errors that has occured during this project.



Outer stem mounted!

Well, on one end anyway. And we have sanded the hull so there is sawdust any thinkable places. (And a few unthinkable..) 80 grit paper on a random orbital sander did the work well, and it both looks and feels good. We have not done more than half the hull so far, but the job went smoothly, and with less effort than we feared. The outer laminated stem made of birch was mountedin a bed of thickended epoxy, of fastened with waxed screws. We thickened the epoxy with microballons and sawdust. Gloves are essential when working with epoxy!!! We mounted an infrawaveheater to get the right curing temperature,and there it was.




Planing and sanding was the scedule of the evening. The gaps between the planking that occured when applying heat to the hull was almost gone now, luckily. It is obvious tha we cannot use a heating fan to rise the temperature in the workshop. This metod dries out the wood far too much.

Planing was strightforward work. The only thing we had to watch out forwas to keep the plane razor sharp all the time. We sadly found a piece of a staplethat was not removed from the hull,and it took some time to set up the plane blade again. The fitting of the outer stems are almostdone also. It is freezing outside, and the temperature inside are not very high eighter, but we are dressed to go to the North Pole so we survive.





Epoxy is the magic word now. We made a tent above the hull and filled all the small gaps between the strips with thickened epoxy. Then we put a fan heater inside the tent, and went inside the house to laminate the outer stems. We applyed a good amount of epoxy, and cramped the stems to moulds we made. Then it is just to let time and temperature do the job curing the epoxy. Next time we will start to adapt the stems to the hull.



Latest news


Starting up (Not ready yet)